If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Attempting Magic

Two long years have passed for me and my family. With some encouragement from my friends and the hope that some of you may be inspired to do a "family project" as well, I decided to share this moment with you. My girls and I have been growing our hair for two years now to donate to a nonprofit organization called Locks of Love. (Most of you are familiar with this organization. Wigs for Kids is another reputable organization that makes hairpieces for disadvantaged children.) This decision came at a time where God was specifically talking to me about giving. My husband and I think that giving serves as a role of great importance in our faith. With our high paying jobs (harharhar) and four children, God has challenged us to be creative in our giving and we find that God has provided for us to give to the needy.

I had been struggling with the entire "giving" issue and feeling that God was prompting me to give beyond what we were currently doing, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I was sitting in a service on June 26, 2005 and my pastor was preaching on the story of the boy that shared his lunch with the crowd. He said two things that day which haven't left me. #1: God is interested in others' predicaments, so should you. #2 God has given you something that is not for you. Ironically, I was twiddling my hair at the time and God spoke 'I've given you hair and three girls. You need to share what I've given you.' I wasn't totally convinced. (Not that I was stuck on my hair per se, but I've had long hair in the past and wasn't exactly thrilled about caring for long hair again. Besides, I always need time to think about these kinds of things.)

The next day, I was running errands, flipping through radio stations and WBCL was doing a program on Wigs for Kids. I came across this program midway through the interview and when I hit the button, I heard something to the matter of "your hair can be turned into a wig for cancer patients". (Yes, I finished listening to the program.)

About a week or two later, my oldest daughter was thumbing through the newspaper and an article caught her attention. She brought the paper to me to show me what she had found. I wasn't surprised when I saw the article. A girl in our town had grown her hair out for the second time in her life to give to Locks of Love. My daughter looked at me and said, "That would be fun to do Mom!" So, I agreed and here we are.

I can't say that I've had a good attitude about this the entire time. The starting process was fun. However, the more length you have, the more of a process it becomes. As the hair has grown, so has the time to get ready in the morning. At times, I felt like I was losing my Christianity trying to care for it, but God has been patient with me and taught me more than I would have ever imagined from hair.

You all know that belly dancing really is more my style. But, today for the first time, I will attempt magic.

Now, you see it.






Now, you don't.


Poof! The first disappearance act I've ever done.

A ilingualist-bay, a belly-dancer, a party stalker, a composer and now a magician.

What's next people? The possibilities are just endless here in Blog City.

:)

P.S. Like my cut? Cool Sis got to play Barbie yesterday afternoon with my hair. I did the girls. Hey, how about that? I'm a hair stylist too!!!!! :)

18 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I like it, at least from the back. I'm anxious to see all four of the "new" styles. I admire your determination and faithfulness to this project. Will you do it again?
    Mom P.

     
  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger Anon said…

    Now is probably not the best time to ask that question. :)

    I'm feeling lots of freedom with my new "do". :)

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger . said…

    Congrats!

    I've done it, too, so I know what a commitment it can be! Toward the end, I felt like I was caring for someone else's hair!

     
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Jaena said…

    The post gave me chills - seriously. Way to go girls, and I'm proud of you for hanging in there so much longer than I did. ;)

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Blogger Deb said…

    I'll tell you what would have really given you chills was watching me cut Anon's hair.

    Hope we can do it again in another couple of years.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, Blogger Anon said…

    hahahaha

    Hey, I styled my hair today and think it turned out pretty cute.

    You're going to need to sharpen your skills for next time, though. I'm putting in an early request; a rock doll haircut. Get busy girl! :)

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    I especially like the hair cut on your little one on the far right side of the picture.

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Toevs said…

    Emma will like seeing these pics... I have similar pics of her on my blog. She said right after getting it cut that she wants to do it again. :-)

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to say I didn't know that is why you were growing your hair out - I feel a little out of the loop. I can't wait to see everyone's hair from the front! What a great idea!

    Favorite Cousin

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Kelley said…

    Way to go! I'm proud of you for sticking it out. I wouldn't have the patience. You know me...chop, chop! :)

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am glad that you are my music teacher at school. You are really good at the songs. I like your hair. I know I haven't seen it in person, but I saw it on the computer. I can't wait to see you guys at church. Love, Emma Toevs

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger Jaena said…

    Anon, I (finally) updates the WMCR blog - in case you're interested.

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks Great! I am very proud of you and your girls to have that much determination and sticking with it to the end! Even Bon Jovi
    has gone to a shorter do! :) hee hee
    Bon Jovi Buddy!

     
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger Anon said…

    Thanks to everyone for your encouraging comments!

    Favorite Cousin ?? I thought we had a little conversation about this at my eldest niece's bday party a couple of years ago. Uh-oh, maybe that was your madre. :)
    Sorry.

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    I'm back from vacation and blogging away again!!! Whoo Hooo

     
  • At 3:45 PM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    AbraCadabra - - - new post on Anon's blog!!!

    (Now I'm attempting magic!!"

     
  • At 7:18 AM, Blogger IndyMom said…

    I'm a little behind in reading blogs. Just saw this post.

    My daughter, Anna, gave her hair in August. When she decided to grow it out awhile ago I thought about joining her. But, I was pregnant and wanted something different so I got my hair cut before it was long enough to donate.

    That was a lot of hair from you and your girls.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Blogger Kendra said…

    Hi, Im Karla's sister,Kendra. I came across the blog entry I guess while blog stalking and it really touched me. One time in my life Ive given to Locks of Love , never knowing in the future I would be diagnosed with cancer. The treatment I'm going through will leave me with my long locks and Im so thankful for that. But those who go through the harshness of this disease will be thankful for your giving. Also what a wonderful thing to teach your children.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home