If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Merry Christmas?




Fall is one of my favorite times of the years. The season changing colors and listening to the crunch of the leaves as you step outside brings a sense of rejuvenation. This year, fall has become a time of reprieve which I have come to appreciate more than ever. Football and tennis are over now, but this is just the calm before the big storm that hits in December.

I couldn't help but share one cute moment over fall break that still makes me chuckle every time I think of what happened. We have a tradition in our family, as I'm sure many of you do also, of carving pumpkins. The kids really look forward to this and a couple of them were especially excited about the fact that they got to "use the knife themselves".

Now, what has turned out to be an almost "ceremony-like" manner, we light the pumpkins after everyone's satisfied with their jack-o-lantern. We have a front window that directly looks over our front porch/entry way. The kids have a special spot they put them at and then, they proceed to go inside to the window to watch Mom light the jack-o-lanterns. With great anticipation in the air, I struck a flame and lit the wicks. I began hearing a tune from inside the house, "Silent Night, Holy Night..." My oldest daughter began the melody and the others joined in except for one. All of a sudden, my middle daughter is getting a little rattled and you hear her burst out, "Hey, that's not a Halloween song, that's Christmas. Does it look like there's a star in the sky?" Whew, I'm glad they got that one cleared up. :)
If you knew my middle daughter, you can understand why this is so funny. She kind of has a little attitude when she gets frustrated.

Well, that's exciting as my post gets tonight. I'm just glad I actually have a moment to spend in Blog World right now. The costumes are in a pile, trick-or-treat is finished and the freshly roasted pumpkin seeds were delicious. I hope you had a "Merry Christmas?" too!

:)

22 Comments:

  • At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have to love the wisdom of children. I am sure there are many more stories where that came from. How cute. Good to read a new blog.

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sounds like your middle child but she did have a good point!:) I am a diehard about no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving!

    Favorite Cousin

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Anon said…

    Favorite Cousin

    You wouldn't like my job then!

    hehehehe

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Toevs said…

    Have your middle daughter turn on the radio to 93.1. They are playing 93 days of Christmas music. Non-stop Christmas since before Halloween. Now that is a little much! :-)

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger K. Karr said…

    Loved reading your latest entry- I thought of this post on Friday when my principal started singing "Jingle Bells" !!!! It will be here before you know it!

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    Thanks for the new post - - - and such a good one too!

    BTW - - - college and pro football are still in full swing!

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger Anon said…

    I should have known that the football gal would've caught me on that one. I was referring to my son's football tackle league. The college and pro games, I don't have to run anyone to practice. :)

    93.1 is getting bad as Marsh then, too. They are also playing Christmas music right now.

     
  • At 4:57 AM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    Last week on Thursday we drove down to the ACSI teacher's convention - - - nearly two hours away. SOMEONE put the radio on that Christmas all the time station. It was TOOOOO much!!!

     
  • At 9:51 AM, Blogger grammy said…

    Christmas is almost here??? I am still finding things I bought for family last year!!! Whew...at least I won't have to do any shopping this year!!!

    So good to have you back in our blog world!!! We've missed you!!!

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    Our Mutual Friend (VC from your church) has started a blog!!! Check it out:

    www.vickie-vickiesblog.blogspot.com

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Blogger Vickie said…

    I loved your story. Our family loves to carve pumpkins too and they are now middle school and high schoolers. I love it. Thanks for welcoming me to the blog world. Yeah...it was kind of a hey I wonder if I can do this and then....wah-lah...I have a blog...

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Anon said…

    Wow.....and now I have Vickie as a contact!

    I'm not worthy!!!!

    :)

     
  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Loving Our Homeschool said…

    Lauren saw your pic in the comment section of my blog and said, "Who is THAT, Mom?" LOL! So glad to see a new post from you!
    Oh, I'm logged in as my alternate blogger identity, but this is me, Heather. :o)

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    I talked ABOUT you in a comment on Vickie's blog - - - its under the picture of me STANDING by my conference table with my chair upside down on the table.

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Keri said…

    LOL that is too funny and cute!!

     
  • At 4:52 AM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    So Anon, are you going to give us a fun REAL Christmas post, or is this pumpkin pseudo-Christmas post going to be all we get?!?

    We miss you when you are so busy, ya know?

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    Now it really IS Merry Christmas!!

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Blogger Anon said…

    hahahaha

    Yes, Funny Lady, it is. It's on the backburner right now, but I'm going to try.....sometime before 12/08 rolls around.

    That's what happens when you're a full-time working momma now! :)

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    Anon - - - I put a little special something JUST FOR YOU in my most recent post - - - (12/30)

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    Anon - - - I HOPE you've seen my blog party invite on my blog - - - it's been on off and on for over three weeks now. I HOPE you can come.

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    ANON COME ANYWAY AND BRING ELDEST!!!

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Blogger Keetha Broyles said…

    Anon - - - I've been TALKING about you again, this time in BOTH a post and the comments UNDER it. You better go check it out!!!

    By way of introduction, "Headless Mom" is a blogging friend whom I found through another blog and she is keeping herself headless while you only keep yourself Anon - - - but still, the SAME kind of idea. I thought you two would enjoy each other's blogs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home